The absolute requirements for becoming a Mason are:
- Be a man (There are other branches of Masonry that accept both men and women, or women only),
- Be of lawful age - In Tennessee, you must be at least 18 years old,
- Have belief in a Supreme Being (of any faith. No particular religion or faith is required or excluded. All are welcome.)
- You should be someone who does, or wants to learn to, enjoy the company of other men from all different social classes, faiths, backgrounds, races, countries, etc. Masonry is universal in its ideals.
- If you are a family man, Masonry considers that your family obligations come FIRST, so you must be sure that:
- you have the time to participate (usually two or three evenings/month at first for meetings and instruction, and then at least one evening per month for meetings from then on -- often more if you get involved in lodge activities.)
- you can afford the initiation fees and the annual dues without hardship to yourself or your family.
- you should be coming to Masonry "of your own free will and accord", to learn to improve yourself and to enjoy the company of other good people, not because someone keeps pestering you to join or because you think it will help you "get ahead" in business.
- Preferably someone you know or at least who lives or works nearby, or...
- If you think that don't know any Masons in your area, look around you. You may notice the various bumper stickers, rings, and other emblems proudly displayed. Any mason will gladly take the time to tell you about his fraternity. or...
- You can probably find nearby lodges listed in your phone book or internet search (listings for lodges may be under "Masons", "Freemasons", "Masonic Lodge", or "Masonic Temple"). Don't be afraid to stop by or call; we are always willing to talk.
If you are interested in joining, Click to Download a Petition for the Three Degrees, fill it out, and come visit with us. We would be happy to talk with you. The cost for the Three Degrees (Entered Apprentice, Fellowcraft, and Master Mason) plus background fee is $225.00 and must be received with the petition, unless otherwise arranged.